Two people were killed and fourteen others injured in an attack in the center of Oslo (Norway) the day before the Pride March last June. This Monday, two alleged accomplices of the author of the shooting, arrested after the fact, were arrested.
New drama in Norway. The police announced that two people had been killed and fourteen others injured, some seriously, in shootings on the night of Friday to Saturday June 25 in the center of Oslo.
This Monday, September 26, nearly three months after the events, two suspects were arrested on Sunday in Oslo. They are implicated for “complicity in a terrorist act”. One of the two individuals is a Somali in his 40s, the other a Norwegian in his 30s, Oslo police said in a statement.
And on Friday, the Oslo police announced that they had launched an international wanted notice against Arfan Qadeer Bhatti, a 45-year-old Islamist with a heavy criminal record, also suspected of “complicity in a terrorist act”.
These new arrests bring to four the number of people implicated in the attack which shocked the Scandinavian nation.
THE PRIVILEGED TERRORIST TRACK
The facts took place on June 25 around one in the morning in three different but close places, including a gay bar, in the center of the Norwegian capital.
“The police are investigating the facts as a terrorist act,” she said in a statement, without providing further details at this stage. At this stage of the investigation, the authorities have announced that the shooter is a Norwegian of Iranian origin.
He also had to deal with the police for minor acts such as carrying a knife or a conviction for possession of narcotics.
According to an NRK journalist present at the time of the shooting, the shooter arrived with a bag from which he removed a weapon with which he fired.
The area was patrolled by heavily armed police equipped with bulletproof vests and helmets. Among the 14 injured, eight were taken to hospital and six others taken care of by a medical service. “Some are described as seriously injured, others as more lightly injured,” said police officer Tore Barstad.
PRIDE MARCH CANCELED
The LGBT pride march scheduled for the same Saturday in Oslo had been canceled at the request of the police after the shooting that hit two bars, including a gay establishment, announced the organizers.
Following “clear” police recommendations, “all Oslo Pride-related events are cancelled,” event organizers wrote in a statement posted on Facebook.
“WE ARE OVERCOME BY MOURNING”
“Today, we were supposed to celebrate love and color our streets with the colors of the rainbow. Instead, we are overwhelmed by mourning, ”reacted Norwegian Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre at a press conference. “Even if we are not sure that it is the homosexual circles that were targeted, we know that (they) are the victim”, he added. “We share your despair. We are united”.
King Harald, he said he was “horrified”. “We must come together to defend our values: freedom, diversity and mutual respect,” he said in an official statement.
In France, the Minister of the Interior Gérald Darmanin had asked the prefects and directors of the police and the gendarmerie to raise general vigilance in France, and more particularly for the Pride march. He had also asked to mobilize the sensors to detect possible threats that could weigh on these events.
Generally peaceful Norway was the scene of bloody attacks on July 22, 2011 when right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people in a bomb attack on the government headquarters in Oslo and a shooting attack on a rally of young laborers on Utoeya Island